[Dragaera] The New Palace

Jon%20Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 13:39:01 PDT 2010

----- "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:

> On Wed, June 2, 2010 14:01, Jon%20Lincicum wrote:
>
> > Why would a brigand buy a 50 imperial bow when a 3 orb throwing knife or
> > flashstone will do the same job and be easier for him to use?
>
> Have you ever used a bow? Or thrown a knife? My feeling is that the bow
> is tremendously easier to use effectively than the throwing knife. (The
> bow is big an awkward and needs space to use.)

Yes, to both, actually. Boy Scouts. (Long story.)

I will grant that archery is easier to do consistently once you get the hang of it, but it does require training with the equipment to get to that point. And if the equipment is hard to come by, it might still be a simpler option for both brigand and hunter to use a knife, sling, or flashstone.

I tend to discount Teckla hunters from my equation, since I figure Teckla would not have the means to engage in sport hunting. As for subsistence hunting, I envision setting traps and snares as far more in keeping with the personality of a Teckla than hunting with bow and arrow anyway. There does not seem to be a large call for subsistence hunting in modern Dragaera in any case; the level of domesticated argriculture appears fairly close to our own.

> The flashstone is probably a better weapon for a brigand; it's very close
> to exactly equivalent to an early pistol, fairly easy to use, rather
> short-range, and devastating if you hit your target.

I agree with this.

> However, a couple of brigands with bows standing off, plus the ones
> up-front having flash-stones, is a better tactical setup. The bow is more
> equivalent to a rifle than a pistol.

Could be. But I don't necessarily think we've seen enough of brigands in Dragaera to say for certain that none use this exact technique. Wadre's Band and Piro's Band seem like they could easily both be atypical examples.