[Dragaera] The New Palace

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 2 14:48:46 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> [...]

These are all in my view hacks, esp. in view of what we have seen about
sorcery in the Texts.  No armor makes sense - a mind-reading spell that
works on inanimate object doesn't.  Maybe witchcraft, if it were made
industrial, would be able to make the fine distinctions you need, but one
still would have to come up with a reason why the hair-string-breaking
spell doesn't work on blood vessel walls.

Note I'm using "hack" in the sense of, "Somthing that might work once, or
briefly, but can't be expected to maintain value [here, explanatory power]
in the real world".

Thanks for introducing me to "bowyer" by the way.  I see in wikiing it
that the best bows in the 1500s could shoot an arrow around 800 m.

> Anyway, it seems to me there are science-fiction and even stories where
> you can use arguments like that and some where you can't.  Steven's
> stories strike me as the second kind.  He does justify some Cool Stuff,
> but he's made it clear that all the justification he needs is Coolness.

Hence why I don't care about this.  (Though I do think the above
overstates the claimed lack of interest in consistent worldbuilding
in Dragaera.  Recall the conversation on the list about the effect of
the Enclouding on agriculture - on the one hand the Cycle knows that
plants can live on orange light, on the other there would be less light
overall and less orange too - but e.g. no subsequent comment in Paarfi
about sorcerous improvements in fertilizer.  Not having bows and arrows
however seems a bit different to me - less organic to the world.)