[Dragaera] The New Palace

Jon%20Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Jun 4 16:20:16 PDT 2010

----- "Michael Wojcik" <mwojcik at newsguy.com> wrote:
> Jon%20Lincicum wrote:
> >
> > If a highwayman is clever, he never has to fire his weapon, anyway.
> > It's used as a threat, so I don't know that this is as big a drawback.
>
> This is an interesting point. Is a flashstone useful as a threat? If a
> random tough steps into the road holding a small rock, and claims it's
> a flashstone, would the fat[1] merchant in question believe it? It
> seems like obvious threats would work better than ones the victim has
> to take on faith.

When a hoodlum sticks up a convenience store with a handgun, how do you know it's loaded?

How about if he's just got a gun-shaped lump in his pocket that he sticks at you, menacingly?

Is this a credible threat?

As with any threat, I'd say it's only effective so long as a) it is not just a bluff, or b) if it is a bluff, the bluff is not called.

I think Vlad made a similar observation to Verra in /Issola/ regarding threatening the Jenoine...