[Dragaera] Vlad's Age Revisited

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Jul 12 09:08:35 PDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Maximilian Wilson [mailto:wilson.max at gmail.com]

>I don't understand this comment. They already know their age, what does it
mean to try to "put their own age as close to the comparison age as they
can"?

What I was suggesting (which, I grant you, may just be a reflection of my
own brain's workings) is that a person making this kind of statement would
generally pick the closest applicable fraction. That is, if Vlad was 31 he
would say "Almost two-thirds of the time I've been alive" rather than "More
than half of the time I've been alive". The latter suggests to me that his
own age is closer to forty than thirty.

In the end, it's properly imprecise and the specific meaning, if any, is
mostly reliant on how Steve would approach the usage of that kind of
phrasing.