[Dragaera] Vlad's Birth follow-up

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Sat Aug 14 10:59:57 PDT 2010

I've finished the major clean-up pass caused by re-figuring when the date
of Vlad's birth was.  I've reduced the (already small) degree of certainty
in that date.  It largely hinges on when _Taltos_ takes place, and while I
still think the arguments for 239 PI are strongest, one could make
nearly-as-strong arguments for 240 or 241 (and weaker arguments for other
years as well).

One interesting thing turned up as a result of my current thinking about
Vlad's age.  Some new possibilities are suggested for what happened to
Vlad's mother.  _Taltos_ (p.4) says: "My father kept changing his story,
so I don’t know if she died or if she left him, and I don’t know if I was
two, four, or five at the time."  By my current thinking, Vlad turned two
during 221 PI -- the year of the 221 Uprising.  Noish-pa's wife died
during that uprising (Tk 160); did Vlad's mother as well?  Or perhaps, in
what would be some killer irony, Vlad's mother left Vlad's father sometime
in the next few years, because she had become radicalized, and he still
wanted to be a Dragaeran?  Like father, like son...

Alexx

"Where sex is concerned, the *highest* risk activity is unprotected
 anal sex.  Unprotected vaginal sex is also *risky*.  Oral sex is much
 *less* risky.  And *kissing* is pretty safe.  *Hugging* is safe as
 houses.  And writing letters is about as risk-free as you can *get*."
   -- Death Talks About Life