[Dragaera] _Taltos_ and _The Hobbit_

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Tue Aug 17 13:02:46 PDT 2010

At 01:17 PM 8/17/2010, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> * The magical hiring figure isn't around for most of the major action
>> sequences.  (Admittedly, this is a standard Campbellian trope.)
>
>Who's Campbell?

John W. Campbell (1910-1971), longtime editor of Astounding Science Fiction/Analog Science Fiction - Science Fact, from 1937 to his death, who possibly was the single greatest influence on the genre.  I think a group of his rules for writing are around, although I can't find them right now.  He was, admittedly, highly opinionated, and eventually managed to alienate a large number of his authors, including Heinlein and Asimov.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net