[Dragaera] _Taltos_ and _The Hobbit_

Konrad Gaertner kgaertner at tx.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 16:33:47 PDT 2010

Scott Schultz wrote:

> That was an amusing bit of literary comparison. Now I'm curious how the
> other books line up against other well known novels.

[Oops, forgot to send this to the list.]

Several months ago I posted this to rec.arts.sf.written:

: I've just finished a fantasy novel about a dysfunctional royal
: family fighting itself about the succession, which results in the
: overthrow of the state religion and the palace turning into a tree.
:
: The weird thing is that this is the second book I've read that fits
: that description, including the palace becoming a tree.  Is there
: some myth about that?  Or is it just a coincidence, due to the vast
: amount of fantasy being written and the useful symbolism of "palace"
: and "tree"?

after reading N.K. Jemisin's _The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms_.

Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - email: kgaertner at tx.rr.com
http://kgbooklog.livejournal.com/
"I don't mind hidden depths but I insist that there be a surface."
                          -- James Nicoll