[Dragaera] Is Kelly foolish?

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 16:04:39 PDT 2010

----- "Philip Hart" <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>
> > It should be noted that Loraan did not understand the full import of
>
> > what he was being asked to do (by Habil) and may not have realized
> that
> > his actions were treasonous.
>
> How do we know this?  And could he be that dumb?

He seemed interested in asking Habil whether or not he was likely to be caught. He didn't seem to want to know too many of the details. Plausible deniability?

He must have suspected that what he was doing was in some way dangerous or illegal, but he didn't know for sure, and may not have even suspected that it was actual treason.

It seemed to me that Habil's arrangement was a "no questions asked--take it or leave it" kind of proposition. Loraan wanted that staff with Aliera's soul in it. Those were the conditions it was offered under.

> > Thus, no loyalty conflict would be detected by the Orb. It's also
> > possible that he had developed other means to further his studies
> during
> > the Interregnum that did not rely on the Orb to allow the entry of
> the
> > Jenoine.
>
> I was also thinking of Loraan in Vlad's time - has he repented since?

I don't recall Loraan doing anything against the Orb or throne itself in Vlad's time. I do not doubt that after Kana was defeated, Loraan would choose to accept citizenship and a link to the Orb in order to further his own studies. It's exactly what an Athyra would do, yes?

> Isn't any crime in a monarchy a form of treason?

So, if the President does it, it isn't illegal?

I don't think this follows. Treason is crime designed specifically to overthrow or undermine the stability of a government. There are plenty of types of crime that do not rise to this level.