[Dragaera] Is Kelly foolish?

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Mon Oct 4 09:34:06 PDT 2010

>> > The problem is that it's all supposition and we don't really know
>> > the whole story anyway. To hear Aliera tell things, Adron wasn't
>> > trying to grab control of the Orb, he was trying to break the Cycle,
>> > which probably means that he was attempting to destroy it.
>
>>Where's that?
>
> When Aliera is reborn in the Halls of Judgement, in _Taltos_.
>
> --------
> Aliera nodded, and I saw a tear in her eye. She said very quietly, “It is
> the reign of a reborn Phoenix, isn’t it?”
> Morrolan nodded, seeming to understand.
> “I told him it would be,” she said. “A Great Cycle—seventeen Cycles; it
> had
> to be a reborn Phoenix. He wouldn’t listen to me. He thought it was the
> end
> of the Cycle, that a new one could be formed. He—”
> “He created a sea of chaos, Aliera.”
> “What?”
> I decided that “he” referred to Adron. I doubted that he was to be found
> in
> these regions.
> --------

I would remind you that Aliera is not necessarily a reliable witness,
especially where Adron is concerned.  Steven Brust wrote (in
rec.arts.sf.written, 7/16/97, referring to some things Aliera said in
_Jhereg_): "Aliera got her stories tangled, is all. She's referring to the
incident of the Goblets, which happened well before Adron's move, and only
indirectly had anything to do with it. Aliera doesn't know as much history
as she thinks she does, and tends toward tunnelvision. And, besides, Daddy
couldn't have done anything really wrong."

I have no strong opinion on her accuracy in this particular instance, just
wanted to remind folks of the general point.

Alexx

Every program has at least one bug and one unnecessary instruction --
 therefore, every program can be reduced to one instruction that doesn't
work.
   [Seen on a Nancy Button, www.nancybuttons.com]