[Dragaera] Is Kelly foolish?

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Oct 4 10:59:37 PDT 2010

>I have no strong opinion on her accuracy in this particular instance,
> just wanted to remind folks of the general point.

>Alexx

I agree with you on the general point, especially since the whole "nobody is
a completely reliable witness" thing is one of Steve's interesting gimmicks
in the Vladiad. "Objective" history depends on who is reciting the facts;
that is, there is precious little truly objective history, which pretty much
mirrors the real world. (Except that we don't have a  pantheon of Gods or a
basically immortal guardian of the world to remember the actual facts for us
if we require them to.)

Be that as it may, Aliera saying "I told him it would be...  [the reign of a
Reborn Phoenix]" is pretty specific. In this case, I think she may be the
only reliable witness. Now, it might be that Steve might come to regret
being that specific while writing some later novel, but for now there's
little one can say to show why Aliera wouldn't remember something she said
to her father shortly before she died. (That is, barring an alteration of
her memories similar to what was done to Vlad and perhaps Morrolan as well.)
Indeed, being resurrected in the fashion she was, her memories of the days
leading up to the Interregnum ought to be quite fresh, as they were
literally "yesterday", from her point of view.