[Dragaera] The Desecrator [spoilers]

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 3 14:36:20 PST 2011

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Maximilian Wilson wrote:

> I nodded. "The Great Weapons were created to destroy the gods, but now
> they're being used to defend the gods. Cute."
> "Yes. We who carry the Great Weapons are the appointed of the
> gods--even of those of us who, like Zungaron--"
> "Who?"
> "Never mind. Even those of us who only have one by accident and have
> not the least clue what it is for, or what to do with it. [snip]"
>
> I don't see anything in the story which is incompatible with this
> information, if we take Sethra at face value and assume that the
> "accident" was Zungaron's original acquisition of Nightslayer and not
> its recovery in this story (which was very much not an accident).

Perhaps the difference is that the gods or the Cycle or fate declared
that Godslayer/Pathfinder would go to soul-siblings Vlad/Aliera, while
Telnan just happened to be the most recent Dzur to knock on Sethra's door
so he's the one she set up.

Also, the swords are aimed at the gods in particular ways - presumably
Nightslayer has some property like pathfinding or spellbreaking which is
of particular usefulness, and "not the least clue" could refer to that.

> Zungaron has no idea what to do with Nightslayer, he just likes to
> randomly kill people with it. I'll bear this in mind next time I
> re-read /Dzur/. He's not annoyed because he's being denied a heroic
> death, he's being annoyed because he doesn't get to kill anyone. :)

I take it this is tongue in cheek, but there is a clear conflict of
interests between weapon and wielder, and surely that will lead to
conflict at some point.