[Dragaera] The Desecrator [spoilers]

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Fri Mar 4 11:06:53 PST 2011

>From: Maximilian Wilson [mailto:wilson.max at gmail.com]

>"Yes. We who carry the Great Weapons are the appointed of the gods--even of
those of us who, like Zungaron--"
>"Who?"
>"Never mind. Even those of us who only have one by accident and have not
the least clue what it is for, or what to do >with it. [snip]"

Thanks for the correction. I should know better than to comment without
first looking something up. ;-)

I'd go along with the idea that Sethra did NOT know that the anomaly was a
Great Weapon, but that she DID know that Telnan/Zungaron was the one who
needed to investigate it. He was destined to find it, though it seems
probable to me that the sword had free will in choosing to be joined with
him.

In a certain sense, Sethra is the shepherd of the Great Weapons, at least at
the current time. Everyone we know of who carries one ("own" doesn't seem
the proper word) has come by it through her intervention in a greater or
lesser capacity.  When she got the urge to take Zungaron on as apprentice,
it might be that she already had a "feeling" that he might end up bearing
one sooner or later.

The Issola quote also sort of points up something we've debated about in the
past - If the bearers of the Great Weapons are "the appointed of the Gods"
then Vlad falls into that category as well. If you take a paranoid's look at
his life, what you see is someone who has been manipulated practically from
birth into being the one person who would rightfully/correctly wield
GodSlayer and then quickly die; "quickly" being relative to Dragaeran
lifespans. I wonder what Vlad would think about it if he ever took it into
his head to think about it?