[Dragaera] The Desecrator (spoilers)

Sean Whalen stlatos at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 17:18:00 PST 2011

From: Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com>
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] The Desecrator (spoilers)
To: "Sean Whalen" <stlatos at yahoo.com>
Cc: dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2011, 6:50 PM

>   When Telnan said the
>  rough cave walls were as old as "really old things" I think he was
> planning to say "as old as (parts of?) Dzur Mountain"...

Simpler (and funnier) explanation: He was about say "as
 old as *you*", but
thought better of it :-)

  Ah, but preventing that embarrassment is the even more embarrassing fact that Sethra is EVEN OLDER than that since it only dates to the 2nd Cycle and she was born before the Empire formed.  I was actually referring specifically to the cave walls, since Vlad was reminded of Dzur Mountain when he was in the cavernous home of the only Serioli we've seen.  Since Sethra carved out parts of it herself, perhaps they used to use a similar technique with Pre-Empire Sorcery (similar to what Daymar described).

>   If, as he appears to presume, he was given the name "Telnan" because he
> became a student of Sethra's, why is it proper for him to identify himself
> as "Telnan of Ranler", etc?  Is he just following her instructions or has
> he changed his name to "Telnan"?  Is there anything in normal legal
> circumstances necessary for a noble to change his name other than actually
> calling himself by another name?

It seems to me that Telnan was his original name.  He hopes to *earn* the
name Zungaron Lavode.

  There's no evidence from this story, but Telnan tells Vlad in _Dzur_ that he THINKS the name Telnan means "student" and within the conversation it seems that he was given that name, too.