[Dragaera] Tiassa [nothing but spoilers]

Tom Foolery tomasfoolery at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 07:32:49 PDT 2011

> >> Was Vlad fighting with Lady Teldra?  He knew that he was facing Sara's
> >> family, and he clearly wanted Sara to think better of him.  One might
> >> understand him being reluctant to destroy the souls of her relatives.
> >>

> > Probably not. When he draws his weapon in the tavern, Khaavren doesn't
note
> > it's a GW or even Morganti. Or rather, Paarfi doesn't note it.
>
> That bothered me.   I didn't think of Paarfi being the one who didn't
notice it.   Also certainly the family would know about it - even in the
first fight where they left it in the mud.

> But there's no way Khaavren wouldn't notice it.

Didn't Vlad choose to keep his old rapier? And a key aspect of diplomacy is
knowing when to show a strong hand... so I think Lady Teldra would act as
the perfect assassins blade and stay hidden unless brought out by extreme
emotion. I think the blade left in the mud is his plain ole rapier, returned
to him to keep Teldra further hidden.

And perhaps left as a message.

I mean, was it divine providence that saved Vlad, or the tugging of an
insistent GW against current to have our Teckla friend find Vlad?

Who knows?

Then again, Paarfi has been an unreliable narrator before, and I do not
doubt he would wait for the perfect time to share that Vlad is a carrier...
rather, what he thinks is the perfect time, which will lead to a few
paragraphs as to why he said nothing before (and a few clumsy insults versus
other "historians").

But I think Khaavren's reaction to Vlad holding Teldra is key. He says
something like, "I was not aware you had that."

What better great weapon for a god killer than one that stays hidden in
plain sight?  Especially one housing the perfect diplomat?

On an unrelated note:
Overall, I can't help having a strong distaste for Cawti. The more I read of
her, the less I care for her. I wish someone would do to her what was done
to Vlad and wake her up to the fact that Vlad is, for various reasons,
unable to change his role and nature. Sethra or Verra would be my pick.
Cawti needs a serious dose of humble pie.

What I mean about "being done to Vlad" is the idea that he had to "wake up"
against his ingrained hatred. And perhaps whatever Verra did with the water
in the paths of he dead to Vlad. It saddens me to think that Cawti is what
Vlad could have been.

Bringing it back to Tiassa, Khaavren in Vlad's voice is a helluva lot more
entertaining than Paarfi's voice.