[Dragaera] Phrasing - (Very minor Tiassa spoiler)

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 13:54:32 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:
> Spoiler space that is nearly completely useless to a modern email client
> with a variable-sized reading viewport and likewise to anyone reading the
> digest...
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
> 0
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
> 0
>
> I was surprised at Vlad getting offended at Khaavren referring to Savn as
> "the boy", particularly since Paarfi uses this exact same phrasing in his
> version of the conversation at Smallcrest/The Owl's Feet.
>
> Is this an insult or class-based slur of some kind that I just never caught
> onto before? It's serious enough to annoy Vlad but not serious enough to
> warrant him taking any action when Khaavren basically says "Oh, yeah?
> Whattaya gonna do about it?"

There's a difference between referring to someone in the third person
as "the boy" and addressing them as "boy," as if they weren't
important enough to be worth a name. At least, I got a slightly
derisive feel from the term when I read it and didn't find it
surprising that Vlad bristled. On the other hand, that may have been
silly of me, since Khaavren is addressing Savn in order to ASK him his
name: "What's your name, boy?"

"Boy" in English has some amount of baggage and there are people who
will see racist associations with it (IIRC male slaves were sometimes
called "boy" regardless of their actual age) but I think Vlad would
have had the same reaction to any vaguely-dismissive form of address:
"fellow", "you there", "sirrah," "Teckla", etc., especially in conrast
to the relative courtesy with which he addresses Sara. Contrast this
hypothetical:

    "I've no doubt," he said dryly. "Lady Saruchka, a pleasure to see
you again." He glanced at Savn. "I don't believe I've had the
pleasure."

Of course Khaavren would never address a Teckla with such courtesy.
That's what sets Vlad off.

-Max

--
Be pretty if you are,