[Dragaera] Tiassa -- Chapter the Sixth vs Epilogue -- spoiler (fwd)

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Tue Apr 26 12:10:49 PDT 2011

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Scott Schultz wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Scott Schultz wrote:

>>> We suspect Paarfi's Texts (those we've read, since his monographs
>>> and _Three Broken Strings_ haven't come to us) are published after
>>> Vlad's
>> lifetime,
>>> because they say they postdate Zerika's reign.  Per the intro to _TPG_,
>>> Paarfi had been working on pre-Interregnum history beforehand,
>>> and at the time of its publishing hasn't traced Khaavren & Cie's
>>> influence
>> as far as _FHYA_.
>>
>> I'm failing to see how the above statement relates to the travels of the
>> Tiassa through time or to Paarfi's possession of it before Vlad's
>> possession
>> of it (relative to the tiassa's own timeline).
>
> My belief (not having checked the Timeline) is that Paarfi's Texts appear
> after Vlad's expected lifetime, and that much of the research involved
> occurs after as well.  If the idea is that Paarfi gets the tiassa and
> turns from a plodder into a rock star, it seems simpler to have that
> happen after the events of _Tiassa_.  (Note that in the archives I
> did think about the Piroiad not being written under the influence.)

I think it would be fair to say that the *research* started *long* before
his acquisition of the tiassa.  Remember, _TPG_ was originally intended as
a minor diversion from his much more comprehensive history project about
events leading up to the Interregnum.

Also, while the Paarfi texts that *we* have were published when Vlad would
be either old or dead (barring life extension, etc.), Paarfi had 'popular'
books published well before then.  Cawti has read some (P 15), and Vlad
has read them often enough to be able to quote a line before having his
morning klava, a line which is immediately recognized by Kiera (O 142).
It wouldn't be completely ludicrous for Vlad to have met Paarfi at an
author appearance or some such.

Alexx

Subtlety is the art of saying what you think and
 getting out of the way before it is understood.