[Dragaera] Tiassa timeline -- spoiler

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 22:16:53 PDT 2011

T. S. T.
1
2
3
4
5
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
First
Second
Third
Fourth
Fifth
Sixth

> From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> Re the rest, it would help at least me to have a mini-timeline
> for the tiassa to understand what's going on.

Okay, maybe my amateur contribution will be a start.  I've used Alexx's
timeline and Scott's comments.  Corrections and other comments welcome.

This is from the point of view of the silver tiassa, which may have one.

Mafenyi makes it.

Devera sees it. [9 years before she's born.]

Devera takes it and keeps it for a while. [200 years earlier--maybe also
earlier in the silver tiassa's timeline.]

Devera gives it to that nice Athyra Chuvin, whose psiprints probably get
better. [No idea.]

The silver tiassa makes its way to Pindua, whose sculptures probably get
better. [During and a bit after the published Vlad books?]

Pindua dies and Paarfi buys the silver tiassa at the estate auction.
[Around 280 P. I.?]

Paarfi keeps it for 300 years.  It probably inspires the novels we've
read.

Devera asks Paarfi for it back, but he talks her into letting him
keep it for another 50 years.

Devera takes it back.  (She plays with Vlad Norathar "ten Real Years
ahead".  I'm tempted to read this as 10 years after she took the
tiassa back from Paarfi, but that would put the estate sale during
the Interregnum, which I'm having trouble with.  Who knows?  I've
been wrong before.)

Mafenyi asks for the tiassa back.  Devera flees and gives it to Vlad.
[Not long after /Taltos/.  By the way, it was very naughty of her to
mention Vlad Norathar to Vlad at this point.]

Vlad tells Sethra that he has it and how he got it.  [I'm putting
this here because Vlad speaks casually of being at Castle Black,
but it could be far in the future when he can go to Castle Black
safely again.]

Vlad gives the silver tiassa to Omlo as part of his plan to deal with
Piro and Ibronka.  Could it help Omlo's acting? [Not long after
the main events /Dragon/.]

Omlo sells it to Feorae with the tagged coins.  It has no effect on
Feorae that we know of.

Dathaani or a minion steals it.  It has no effect on Dathaani that
we know of, unless it contributed a detail or two to his plan.
[Sometime after /Issola/--I suspect it's before /Iorich/ because of
Vlad Norathar's age, though the statement that he's "knee-high" to
Daro shouldn't be taken literally.]

We lose sight of it.  Palaniss believes it was at Dathaani's house
(suggesting that Dathaani didn't intend to plant it on Vlad's body),
and Palaniss and Khaavren speculate that Cawti took it and gave it to
Vlad.

Vlad has it and gives it to Savn. It helps Savn's mental healing.
[Probably not more than a few years later.]

I left out one set of events:

Sethra plans to plant the silver tiassa under the bed in the
duplicate of Kieron's bower.  It apparently makes him feel alive
and makes Devera's conception possible.  Sethra plans to return
it to Vlad.

I suspect this is after Vlad gets the tiassa back from Dathaani,
because during the fake Jenoine invasion, when Kosadr intends to
ask Sethra about the silver tiassa, no one suggests that Sethra
could locate it magically, and Sethra doesn't say that her study
of it showed it wouldn't help against the Jenoine.  That doesn't
prove anything, but I suspect it means Sethra hasn't had it in
her possession yet.

The simplest possibility would be that Sethra, not Cawti, took
it from Dathaani's house.  Then after using it for conception
(which is a lot like inspiration), Sethra found some opportunity
to give it to Vlad.  But it's still possible that someone else
took it from Dathaani's house and Sethra got it and returned it
to Vlad, or that Vlad already had it somehow and Sethra borrowed
it from him.  It's also possible that Vlad lent it to Sethra
shortly after their conversation about its history, in which
case I was wrong about the placement of either that conversation
or "Conception".

What do people think?

Jerry Friedman