[Dragaera] Stuff I never got in Tiassa (Spoilers)

Steve Rapaport steve.rapaport at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:01:14 PDT 2011

I hope it's not too early to ask spoiler questions of the rest of you for
Tiassa.  I just re-read the book and realized there's some stuff that I was
supposed to figure out on my own that I guess I just couldn't.

So:

Vlad shows up in the water, close to death, after losing a fight with Sara's
relatives.  He doesn't have his Great Weapon with him.

Sara shows up within the day, somehow tracking him down, and in possession
of Lady Teldra.  He gratefully takes it back and immediately is healed.

So what happened before the fight that would let LT get from Vlad's person
to Sara's?   I assume she didn't steal it from him, that he didn't somehow
lose LT in the battle (farfetched), that he hadn't lent LT to her that day
when she needed a letter opener.

*  Did he unstrap his sheath and hand it to Sara, saying "hold onto this or
I'll end up killing and soul-eating all your relatives"?

* Did he forget to put LT on that morning and was surprised by the river
while relieving himself?

* Did LT kill one of the relatives immediately upon the first attack,
causing Vlad to think fast and toss it over to Sara before more damage was
done?

These all seem a little weird to me.  In fact, the entire concept of 9
people ambushing a competent Great Weapon wielder and winning seems weird to
me.

The other question is -- was Sara watching the fight?  If so, why didn't she
pull him from the river herself?   Why didn't she intervene? Why did it take
her so long to find Vlad later? And why didn't she know that her brother was
dead?

If not, why did Vlad let Teldra so far out of his sight?

Speculate away, or if I'm missing something obvious, please enlighten me.

--
\Steve