[Dragaera] Paarfi's Whitewash of Adron

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Sat Aug 6 08:24:11 PDT 2011

> Getting back to Paarfi - I'd need to get my books to quote something, but
> he
> writes that when the Orb came back online, that it circled mournfully over
> Tortaalik's body, and then it searched out the next appropriate candidate
> for Emperor and it chose Adron, setting the feedback loop into effect.

You misremember.

FH, p.425: The Orb was once again floating—only now above the Emperor's
body, emitting grey for mourning while it interrogated the Cycle and
searched, in its own way, for the new Emperor; Aliera disengaged her arm
from Mario and took the Orb into her hands, saying, "I claim the Orb and
the throne in the name of my father, Adron e'Kieron. The Reign of the
Phoenix is over, and the Reign of the Drag—" she stopped, and a puzzled
look crossed her features. The Orb began to emit red sparks. Aliera let
go, but it stayed where it was, only now there were blue and green sparks
as well, and these became brighter, larger, and more frequent. Then,
abruptly, it stopped, and became the Orb again, glowing white and angry.

The Orb doesn't physically travel to Adron (or anyone else).  And its
reaction to Aliera's claim sure doesn't read to me like passive agreement.

Alexx

"What I don't understand is Hobbes' name.  Was he named after the
 17th century philosopher who characterised life in the state of
 nature as "nasty, brutish, and short"?  But it is Calvin who is
 nasty, brutish and short."      -- Edward Nilges