[Dragaera] Timeline

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Sat Aug 6 08:34:24 PDT 2011

> I'll second Scott's well-deserved praise of Alexx.
>
> I had another thought when I got to the part re: Sethra confirming
> that the orb got to the paths of the dead.  I'm not sure how it's
> phrased in the books, but it's quite possible that Sethra sent the Orb
> to the Paths but either 1) had no idea if she was successful or 2) had
> no idea where it ended up, even if she knew where it ended up--since
> time/space in the Paths are extremely hazy, and landmarks that might
> be near a point on one day might be miles and miles away on the next.
> So perhaps that's why there's that apparent discrepancy.

Heh.  Based on this (and rechecking the books), I have added a new
sentence to the end of this paragraph:

p.210: "Oh, as to that ... who can say?"  This is a slightly curious
passage.  In <a href="#FH34"><I>Five Hundred Years After</i>, chapter
34</a>, Paarfi states quite plainly that Sethra Lavode intentionally sent
the Orb to the Paths of the Dead.  Yet in this chapter, she suggests that
it took her nearly 250 years to confirm that the Orb was there.  Were the
gods being unusually reticent for some reason?  Or was there perhaps some
time travel involved?  Or is the reason for Sethra Lavode's reticence
about whether she helped the Orb due to embarrassment that she transported
the Orb so clumsily that it took centuries to turn up again?

Alexx

"But Soft!  What rock through yonder window breaks?  It is a brick!
    and Juliet is out cold..."
  -- Kimberly Faircloth (x045kf at tamvm1.tamu.edu)