[Dragaera] random thoughts on recent (or not) Texts

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sat Nov 5 11:30:35 PDT 2011

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, Bryan Newell wrote:

>> 4. Was Baritt bonded to PF?  I can't come up with a sensible reason
>> why he hid the fact he had a GW, unless perhaps he didn't win the
>> struggle for control, but somehow retained partial use of it.
>
> I could have sworn that somewhere in /Dragon/ it is suggested that Baritt's
> rise to power was unexpected with the suggestion that his (secret)
> possession of Pathfinder was the cause, but I can't find the passage.

Morrolan says as much, pg. 93.  (It's very hard finding things in _Dr_
given how it's all chopped up and reassembled.)

But why the masquerade?  Maybe B killed the previous owner in a dastardly
way?  We've seen no suggestion that there's a downside to openly wielding
a GW.  Or maybe he doesn't want a tie-in to destiny, and perhaps
associated surveillance that is otherwise avoidable.

It's especially interesting because 0) Baritt might be another
assassinated GW-wielder and 1) maybe Aliera would have gotten some
insight into B's plots and knowledge if there's more sharing than between
Vlad and Loiosh.

> The programmer in me smiled at your base-zero numbering of 17 idle thoughts.

Base zero counting would be pretty tedious.  I bet Sethra the Younger will
be set to counting to 17 that way next time she crosses Sethra.