[Dragaera] Why does the empire license brothels?

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Nov 6 01:05:08 PDT 2011

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood wrote:

> Since I'm still convinced there is some major reason for the taboo against
> mixing houses, most likely something to do with maintaining the Cycle as a
> source of energy for the Gods, this explanation appeals to me.

I doubt the gods care - iirc Verra says she can't mess with the houses,
not that she's not supposed to.  I think this comes from the Cycle, and
has to given the complexity of influence involved.

> I do recall that Khaavren had no qualms about pursuing the attentions of
> a certain Phoenix pretending to be an Issola at one time, though... I've
> often thought that was an odd contrast to his reaction to Piro and
> Ibronka.

Vlad tells us somewhere (I guess _Jh_) that there are no accidental
pregnancies among Dragaerans, so marriage and dalliance might be
radically different in that regard - but I tend to disbelieve him on this
point.

> BTW, is the reference in _Tiassa_ the first one in the series regarding
> same-gender relationships?

I seem to recall thinking that some of Wadre's band were in same-sex
relationships, but maybe that was just the interhouse thing.  Certainly
Vlad says to Kiera early in _Orca_ that Savn is his catamite, to get a
rise out of her on one or more of various possible accounts.  And on pg.
94 of Iorich Vlad asks if Zerika's lover is a he or a she (see my list re
"gya").