[Dragaera] random thoughts on recent (or not) Texts

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Mon Nov 7 07:11:32 PST 2011

> On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, Alexx Kay wrote:
>
>> but specific individuals exhibit wide variation.  I think it's safe to
>> say
>> that StY has a more... elastic notion of honor than, say, Morrolan.
>
> Something she picked up from her namesake, perhaps.  I suspect Sethra's
> pretty practical, though I don't immediately recall an example.

In FHYA, she comes to the capitol to investigate Gyorg Lavode's murder,
despite having been banished from the court.  Later in that volume, she
has the audacity to suggest to Tortaalik that he abdicate.

In _Taltos_, she does some fairly skeezy manipulation (and, arguably,
murder) to get Vlad to Dzur Mountain.

These are not exactly the same sort of thing that StY does, but may
perhaps be taken as influential on StY's character.

Interestingly, there is no clearly documented instance of Sethra Lavode
*lying*.  She is certainly willing to conceal, obfuscate, and mislead, but
as far as I can tell, she never tells a direct untruth.

Alexx

"... and I say that as a person who prides himself on not being easily
 disturbed (and quite enjoys it when he is)."
    -- Dave Sim in correspondence with Alan Moore about _From Hell_