[Dragaera] Off-Topic Discussion: Occupy Wall Street

Mark Landin marklandin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 08:51:30 PST 2011

Matthew, Yes I agree with all those things that the Tea Party espouse!
However, as Philip posted a bit after me, the TP's focus seems to have
shifted away from those fundamentally sound philosophical ideas into
more conservative ideology, and that's the part that makes the news
(from both Fox and MSBNC, who laud and loathe it, respectively). And
while you and I may eschew the "old media", the majority of the voters
are bathing in it.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>> The real idea behind the tea party is simple: we want a balanced budget
>> without increased taxes.
>

> Like we had under Clinton - well, actually that was a surplus.  Which was a
> bad thing, per Greenspan et al.  And of course that was before two wars
> costing multiple trillions of dollars.
>
> Per wiki:
> In advance of a new edition of their book American Grace, David E. Campbell
> of Notre Dame and Robert D. Putnam of Harvard published in a The New York
> Times opinion the results of their research into political attitudes,
> finding that Tea Party supporters had been largely "highly partisan
> Republicans" (and not "nonpartisan political neophytes"). Additionally,
> according to Campbell and Putnam, their rank and file is more concerned
> about "putting God in government" than it is with trying to shrink
> government.[96]
>
> A University of Washington poll of 1,695 registered voters in the state of
> Washington reported that 73% of Tea Party supporters disapprove of Obama's
> policy of engaging with Muslim countries, 88% approve of the controversial
> immigration law recently enacted in Arizona, 82% do not believe that gay and
> lesbian couples should have the legal right to marry, and that about 52%
> believed that "lesbians and gays have too much political power".[88][89]
>
> A New York Times/CBS News Poll during the election revealed that only a
> small percentage of Tea Party supporters considered global warming a serious
> problem, much less than the portion of the general public that does.
>

>> health care law
>

> The Heritage Foundation inspired, leading-Republican-candidate implemented,
> conservative-industries-lobbyist written health insurance law.  Plus
> voluntary end-of-life counseling = "death panels".
>

>> despite the way that the CBO analysis was gamed)
>

> And Obama's birth certificate is a forgery.  Thanks a ton to whoever got us
> into this.  Well, it's easy to filter, so never mind.

"He's old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose
it. He's strong enough to win the world and weak enough to lose it." -
Neal Peart