[Dragaera] alternative solutions to Jhereg?

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Jun 10 22:30:38 PDT 2012

During a discussion about the difficulty an outfielder experiences
catching a ball hit directly at him, someone mentioned that a lunge with
the point extending on a line is harder to pick up and parry.  I forget
whether the classic Dragaeran style calls for the sword held high directed
at the opponent's eye (and the poignard directed at his or her heart).

Anyway, I wanted to mention two possible alternative solutions to
_Jhereg_, without, admittedly, having searched the Text for counters.

First, boringly, the Jhereg treasury is 9M gold; they don't use 10% of
that on a regular basis, surely, and I have to think the Dragon treasury,
or Sethra's sub-basement if you think Aliera wouldn't loan a copper to
the council to save dozens of lives, could cover the deficit for 17
days.  Then it's just a question of squelching any remaining leaks or
speculations.

Secondly, Kragar apparently has solid evidence that Mellar had Lord
Onarr's wife infected and cured by witchcraft.  (How Kragar could learn
this some hundreds of years after the witch or witches died is beyond me.)
Sending that info to Onarr might well result in Mellar's immediate death.
Well, I guess Vlad wouldn't countenance Morollan's hospitality being
flouted in that way, so never mind.  Ok, instead Aliera has Pathfinder
find the 9M in gold, or all the ownerless buried treasure in the world,
and then as above.

Incidentally, http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_Onarr says various
things about Onarr that I don't recall from the Texts.