[Dragaera] FW: A New SKZB Fan

Eric Shupps eshupps at binarywave.com
Mon Jan 21 21:52:42 PST 2013

Ok, I'm a lurker - I admit it.  Been hanging around here forever and never contributed.  Shame on me and everything.  But just thought I'd share a quick story.  Over the holidays my thirteen year old daughter pulled an old dog-eared paperback of Jhereg off my bookshelf.  It's in bad shape, I confess - I've read and re-read it dozens of times.  She liked the illustration, the one with Loiosh coming out of the egg, and she wanted to draw it herself.  That led to her take a peek inside and before I knew it she read the whole thing and moved on to Yendi.  Now, if I had any sense, I would have put the books on the shelf in chronological order but I stack 'em as I read 'em so make of that what you will.

The benefit is that the literary time jump backwards instigated a round of questions under the Orb by the teenage Empress who proceeded to demand explanations for Sethra's age, Aliera's ability to levitate, the impossibility of floating castles, a lizard being able to communicate and, I mean, seriously, this Kragar guy, nobody ever sees him?  Seriously?  That's lame!  And folks, c'mon - how exactly to does one explain the Cycle and the Paths of the Dead to a 13 year old?

The good news - a new Steven Brust fan has been created.  And a father and his teenage daughter actually have something IN COMMON.  That's something to truly celebrate, is it not?

- ES