[Dragaera] FW: A New SKZB Fan

Miguel Aja fistoftyr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:48:03 PST 2013

Long time lurker, etc etc etc.

I would not force Brokedown Palace on her. I enjoyed it but it was a lot
harder read. Not in the sense that it was difficult to read (I was
bordering 30 at the time and would like to think a veteran of the Fantasy
genre), but that I found it more tedious. The pacing, the speech patterns,
the way the concepts like magic, reality, perception etc were explained...
everything was a drag to me (I repeat: to me!). Vlad novels force me to
read them as fast as I can, I just cannot help myself, Brokedown I finished
only because I already liked the Taltos series. I am not sure I would have
finished if I hadn't almost exhausted every other Brust novel first.

Phoenix Guards is a coin toss. If you can stand, or even better enjoy, the
Dumas-like prose then it might be even more engaging than Vlad's because of
the expectation of how things will resolve: you know (or think you know) a
lot of the master lines of the story because you know what happens in The
Three Musketeers, so finding out how the author will play inside those
constraints is a joy in itself. If you did not/would not enjoy Dumas...

I think in any case I would let Vlad work its magic, and then the day it
comes up, well, did you know there are these other Dragaera novels out
there?

(then again, I am not a father so what the hell do I know! :) )