[Dragaera] FW: A New SKZB Fan

Eric Shupps eshupps at binarywave.com
Mon Jan 28 18:06:28 PST 2013

I think what got her initially to read Jhereg after the first chapter was the pacing - it held her fickle attention just long enough to pull her in.  She's not much for the fantasy genre in general, she's more into the whole romantic vampire craze at the moment, but I think there's just enough magic in the beginning of Jhereg that she wanted to know a bit more.  The Paarfiad, while one of my all time favorite reads, does take some time to get going.  I doubt if those are a good place to start one's Brust adventure unless you just came off reading the original translations of the Dumas novels.  I'm hopeful she'll stick with it long enough to get there.  I'm not sure if I should let her read Taltos or not at her age - might be a bit much for her to take in (and probably generate a lot more questions than I care to answer).  On the other hand, I seem to recall starting my own Dragaeran adventure around her age, just after Jhereg was first published, so maybe it's not a big deal.

I wonder how SKZB feels about his original fan base passing the material down to their children during his own lifetime?  I suppose we don't ever expect to see our own legacy unfold before us, do we?  Seems like a question for some obscure Athyra to ponder for a millennia or two...