[Dragaera] Heroes

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Nov 10 19:45:21 PST 2013

I was noticing that the U.S. military has given 15 Congressional Medals of Honor since the Vietnam War ended in 1975.   And thousands before then.    I'm wondering what that means about how we run wars - and how we will run wars in the future.    And how we define heroes.    Certainly we have had war situations comparable to the occupation of Veracruz with its 56 medals of honor.

If war is simply business do we still have heroes?    I haven't seen much SF that chose businessmen over heroes.   We like to see protagonists who succeed by using extraordinary, unexpected actions.   Again, and again, and again.