[Dragaera] comment on Dzurs (and Lyorn)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sat Jan 11 14:07:01 PST 2014

The Cycle drawing at the front of _Tiassa_ has House Dzur representing
heroism and honor.  The Lyorn are tradition and duty.  Judging from the
Paarfiad, I would tend to think that the Lyorn are more concerned with
honor - Aerich, I would have said, cares more about honor and principles
than Tazendra (e.g. in being unwilling to break bread with criminals).
The Dzur are interested in standing alone just for the sake of being
different - I would have said "heroism and iconoclasm".  Thus for example
the number of Dzur hybrids in the Texts, and the suggestion somewhere
that Dzur might defend Tecklas or Easterners (in _Dragon_?) - certainly
Tazendra taking Mika as servant is an intentionally iconoclastic action.

It should also be noted that, as discussed on pg. 406 of the paperback
of _FHYA_ and probably slipped in edgewise between courses in _Dzur_,
that part of being a Dzur is a sort of zen-like preparation and even
meditation on one's goals, a searching for answers - maybe "heroism and
exploration" would be best.  For Lyorn I might say, "knightly virtue"
or "nobility", though the latter is often called a Phoenix trait in the
Paarfiad.  (Of course it's dangerous to generalize from one Lyorn.)

(Aside, the conversation I referred to above is hard to understand given
that Paarfi knows that Sethra is a Dzur in some sense.)