[Dragaera] Hawk

Steve Rapaport via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Thu Oct 23 02:29:12 PDT 2014

> Also, note that this isn't a risk.  The sentence is very, very clear; it's
> just in abeyance as long as Vlad keeps it that way.
>

>> Complicated one: If Vlad gets killed, how can Khaavren get the Council
>> members convicted, assuming they've committed a crime?  As far as I can
>> tell, Khaavren has no evidence except Vlad's account of what he was
>> planning, and Vlad won't be able to testify.  Could the Justicers compel
>> the suspects to testify under the Orb?  If so, how, by keeping them in
>> prison till they do?  They might prefer prison to that mass confiscation.
>> Or by torture?  And if they can be compelled to testify, why couldn't Count
>> Szurke always have gotten them compelled to testify about the price on his
>> head?  Maybe they never said, "We'll put a bounty on him", but the
>> Justicers could ask, "If someone had destroyed Count Szurke's soul, would
>> that person have received money?  From what funds?  Who would have
>> authorized the payment?" etc.
>>
> Khaavren was, himself, the witness; Vlad prepared the ground, and Khaavren
> saw/listened to the whole thing.  Thus, there's an impecable witness to the
> crime, one who is -not- forbidden by house law from testifying against the
> Jhereg.

If this is right -- i.e. if Khaavren actually witnessed the entire thing,
subsequent to Vlad snitching in advance, then we do have a problem: What if
the Jhereg Council had NOT betrayed Vlad?

Remember, he was thinking through ALL the contingencies, not just the one
that happened. The possibility that they'd play it straight had to be
considered. In that case, Khaavren had just witnessed a crime and would
have to arrest the participants, including Vlad, who would have been paid.
It wouldn't make sense either for Vlad to let himself off the hook, or for
Khaavren to turn a blind eye to a crime he'd been alerted to and then
witnessed.

So how did Vlad and Khaavren plan to handle that possibility?
--
\Steve