[Dragaera] They should be protecting Vlad much better (Hawk spoilers)

Jerry Friedman via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Wed Oct 29 07:07:42 PDT 2014

Why should Sethra et al. protect Vlad when the Right Hand is going to do it? :-)

I'll add to what Patrick said that Vlad might resent being coddled so much that he gets hurt trying to get out of it.

There are other reasons, all speculative, for Sethra et al. not to hide him away in Dzur Mountain.  They, or at least Sethra, might actually have moral objections to locking people up--for people they respect, anyway.  Maybe good comparisons are the scene in /The Paths of the Dead/ where Khaavren and Daro let Piro go on his dangerous adventure (Ch. 10) and the one in /The Lord of Castle Black/ where Daro convinces Khaavren to let Röanna go with him (Ch. 36).

They might believe that the best training for Vlad is to have to take care of himself in danger, not to get lessons from Aliera or the Warlock or whoever.  (This might be different for Telnan.)

They might believe that if Vlad does get killed, he wasn't the person they needed.  And I don't think it's certain at all that whoever gets Godslayer would use it against Sethra et al.

They might not want to interfere with fate, especially considering that Vlad got Godslayer and helped Aliera get Pathfinder by taking very big risks.  (It's unclear who might have had any idea that he'd get Godslayer as he did.)  Maybe letting him be on his own will lead to other helpful surprises.

They might have better reason than that--reports from Devera about the future, for instance--to know what their best strategy is.

Finally, of course, locking Vlad up for years makes it hard to get Cool Stuff into the stories.

Jerry Friedman