[Dragaera] Fwd: Peasant fantasy

Damien Sullivan via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sun Nov 2 09:38:00 PST 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 02:39:27PM -0500, Konrad Gaertner via Dragaera wrote:
> On 10/29/2014 5:37 PM, Steve Rapaport via Dragaera wrote:
> >Tavi in Jim Butcher's Codex Alera.
> >
> >And if you like, in a long time ago in a galaxy far away, there was an
> >adopted son of two moisture farmers on Tattooine...

If we're picking about what 'peasant' means, they're probably yeomen, or
like Iowa corn farmers, vs. feudal peasants.  And I knote Luke had
gotten a lot of pilot training with ambitions to the Imperial Academy.

More broadly speaking, point.  Though we could also make a division
between "techically peasant/farmer but leaves home and never turns back"
(Paks never goes home, Luke's family is murdered in short order) vs. the
rarer case of repeatedly dealing with peasant life and family, like
Savn, or Fawn in _The Sharing Knife_.

-xx- Damien X-)