[Dragaera] Imperial Guard (possible slight Hawk spoilers)

Jerry Alan Sayers via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Tue Nov 18 21:40:52 PST 2014

Jon Lincicum via Dragaera wrote:
> On 11/18/2014 7:32 PM, Jerry Alan Sayers via Dragaera wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of the Jhereg Guard (and Phoenix Guard and Athyra Guard and
>> so forth), I could not help but notice in Hawk that the Phoenix Guard
>> were referred to as the Imperial Guard.   Zerika is still Empress and
>> the guardsmen still wear gold cloaks, but they were not referred to
>> as the Phoenix Guard. Did anyone else notice this and, if so, what do
>> you think might be the reason?
>>

> "Imperial Guard" is a term used early on to describe them (/Jhereg/
> and /Yendi/) that has seldom been seen since, but appears to be a
> valid term to describe the guard in a generic sense beyond the current
> ruling House. Since almost all of our experience in Dragaera thus far
> has been during a Phoenix reign, however, "The Phoenix guard" seeming
> an equally general term is, perhaps, to be expected.

Yes, I remember Imperial Guard as a term from some earlier books, and
don't doubt its validity, but just wondered why it was used here,
because I don't think Mr Brust does much by accident in his text.  I
wondered if there might be some point to using a more formal term or
more generic term.

--
J A Dusty Sayers

Home Page http://www.sayersnet.com/~dusty/
Rescue the Princess http://www.sayersnet.com/~dusty/rescue/

'Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him.'
      --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe