[Dragaera] it's late and i'm a little punchy

Jon Lincicum via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Mon Nov 24 16:01:45 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----

I'm personally inclined to think it's very possible for there to be multiple emperors of a House during a single turn of the cycle. Note, that when Tortaalik first took the throne himself, it was not upon the death of his predecessor. Cherova III might even still be alive during Vlad's time, for all we know (though it's likely someone of her stature would have been in Dragaera City during the disaster).

The life of the holder of the orb--significant to a point--and the cycle actually changing appear, nevertheless to be two separate things.

Another point; in a world where revivification is real, just because an Emperor dies does not necessarily mean that he will remain dead. Or possibly be unable to continue to rule while undead. (Although I'd imagine there's probably some Imperial Edict somewhere outlawing that last possibility...)

> I think there are good reasons to believe he's actually relatively
> rigorous. Such as him not getting killed for publishing his works
> (admittedly there's an Uncanny Valley situation). And, well, when we
> have contradictions there're from Vlad, who's had Verra's hand inside
> his skull for starters.

It's more fun, in my opinion, to only resort to the excuse of the unreliable narrator as a last resort. As such, I tend to subscribe to the school of "what is in the text is dead-on correct...except when it isn't." But when it isn't should be limited only to cases where it directly contradicts something else with no room for compromise or integration. I do not see that here. There are still options left open to us without needing to play the "Vlad was wrong" or "Paarfi was wrong" card.