[Dragaera] Vlad in the well of Deep Time

Alexx Kay via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Fri Feb 26 16:15:05 PST 2016

Had a dream the other night in which I was reading a new Vlad book. It
was, unusually, set in the extreme far future of the normal Dragaeran
setting. Some historians (not necessarily any sort of human) were
researching the Dragaeran Empire. Part of how they were proceeding was to
create an AI simulation of Vlad. They were able to do this due to the
large amount of documentation available on him; the books by SB, records
in the Imperial Orb, and certain records from Dzur Mountain. He was a
useful subject to 'resurrect' for many reasons. His wider travels among
different cultures (and different class levels within those cultures) made
him more likely than most to be able to adjust to the strange future he
now found himself in. This wide experience also made him someone who was
used to explaining strange cultural concepts to people who did not
necessarily share the background to easily understand them, such as these
researching historians. Another way in which Vlad is useful to them,
though probably unplanned, is that he understands crime in a way that
these academics living in a largely utopian setting do not. So Vlad ends
up being the de facto detective when a murderer happens

Alexx

"In fact, I'm normally too repressed to even say the approved
 midwestern erotic phrases like, "Ouch," "Don't touch me there,"
 and, "Quiet, the children will hear."           -- Nurse Jones