[Dragaera] Forums?

Eugene Zaretskiy via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Thu Jan 5 19:22:17 PST 2017

There are several problems with email:

1) My inbox is very noisy. I try to read posts to this list because they
are of a very high quality (thanks folks!) but my inbox doesn't make it
easy.
2) Mailing lists have a high barrier to entry. While I'm sure no one on
this list would mind if a discussion went off on a tangent, I've avoided
commenting on occasion because my comment doesn't have enough substance to
bother everyone on the list. There's no way to signal that my email is less
important than Jonathan Carey's excellent post about Tukko recently. Slack
makes this easy, with each member opting into the notification level they
desire.
3) Sometimes I get weird emails from the list that ask me to click various
links to prove that I want to remain subscribed or something. Email is not
designed for the purposes to which we put it.
4) The option to receive digests helps some folks deal with #1, but when
those folks reply, it makes it harder for everyone to understand the
discussion. I have no desire to suggest that people stop using the digest
option (or stop replying if they do), because I understand the limitations
of email, but Slack solves both of these problems.

No doubt though it will be hard to convince people to switch. It will
ultimately fall on the shoulders of those members who contribute most to
this list to use one or both and that will determine where the lurkers go.
I don't plan to unsub from this list either, but I hope that people find
the Slack useful.

I am working on getting emails from the list to be auto-posted to the
Slack, so that if you are on Slack you won't miss anything -- but not vice
versa. Maybe that will help!

- EZ

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 6:48 PM Jot Powers via Dragaera <