[Dragaera] What 'cha do'n? (Nov 2017)

Scott Schultz via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Mon Mar 6 09:28:32 PST 2017

If this was any other year, I would be all over it.

Alas - it is the year of the Great American Eclipse. I was in Oregon when the last total solar eclipse touched American shores, a college student and his buddies who skipped out on a couple of days of classes, drove 600 miles, slept in the car, froze in the winter wind, and experienced something so singular that I've spent thirty-eight years waiting for the next eclipse.

My vacation capital is currently invested in August in Sun Valley, Idaho and I've given my wife pretty much no say in the matter, heh. I don't think I can sell another "because it's something I LOVE" event in the same year. The Spouse is pretty adamant that the next vacation is about what SHE loves. ;-)

I'll offer best wishes for a successful VladCon, and I'll watch any resulting event with keen interest. If I might suggest an alternative to personal attendance - If you were to partner with Twitch.com, video record the panels and any interesting side events, and offer a "virtual ticket" for a nominal fee of $10 to $20 (By way of illustration, Blizzard charges $40 for four days of "virtual ticket" BlizzCon programming that also includes "swag"; i.e., in-game items for each of their online games) then you could drum up some dollars from folks like me that can't attend but that would love to participate in any capacity if given the opportunity.

However it works out, best of luck and I hope that y'all can pull it together and pull it off. I'd love to attend DragaeraCon 2019.

As a separate pitch - Anyone who lives within driving distance of the eclipse - You NEED to invest a day or two and put yourself in the path of totality. You may think you know all about eclipses because you've see documentary in science class or on PBS. I'm here to tell you that watching a film and imagining that you know an eclipse is like watching a documentary about how perfume is manufactured and imagining that you now know what the perfume smells like.

It's a bucket list item.