[Dragaera] Chapter titles in Vallista--minor ***SPOILER***

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 14:39:02 PDT 2017

From: Corey Reid via Dragaera <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info>

 To: Dragaera List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
 Sent: Saturday, November 4, 2017 3:25 PM
 Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Chapter titles in Vallista--minor ***SPOILER***

> On Nov 4, 2017, at 5:20 PM, Jerry Friedman via Dragaera <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info> wrote:
>

> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
> 10
> 11
> 12
> 13
> 14
> 15
> 16
> 17
> Here's what I've got.  Would anybody like to correct or add anything?
>
> 1. Devera the Wanderer--Melmoth the Wanderer (Charles Maturin)?2. The Mystery of Elven Food--The Mystery of Edwin Drood (Charles Dickens)3. The Phantom of the Dance--The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux)4. The Legend of Sleepy Harro--The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Washington Irving)5. At the Fountains of Sadness--At the Mountains of Madness (H. P. Lovecraft)6. In the Past Darkly--In a Glass Darkly (Sheridan Le Fanu, altering I Corinthians)7. The Turn of Discaru--The Turn of the Screw (Henry James)8. Withering Depths--Wuthering Heights (Emily Brontë)9. The Miseries of Odelpho--The Castle of Otranto (Horace Walpole)?10. Waters Below the Ground--Airs Above the Ground (Mary Stewart, referring to "haute école" horse maneuvers)?11. Gormin's Guest--Gormenghast (Mervyn Peake)12. The River at Housetown--??13. The Star of the Seven Jewels--The Jewel of Seven Stars (Bram Stoker)14. A Short Fatal Hate Chase--??15. This Smooth Magic--This Rough Magic (Mary Stewart again.  Is Steven a fan?)16. On the Night of the Surly Mood--By the Light of the Silvery Moon (song by Gus Edwards and Edward Madden)?17. Zhayin's Heir--Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
> What did we do before Wikipedia?

We were discussing this on the Slack channel

Chapter 9 is more probably “The Mysteries of Udolpho” by Ann Radcliffe
Chapter 12 is “The House at Riverton” by Kate Morton
Chapter 14 is “A Long Fatal Love Chase” by Louisa May Alcott
Chapter 16 is good, never did get that one.

So I think that’s all of them!
Thanks.  I'm sure your answers are right.  I was hoping someone had something better than "By the Light of the Silvery Moon", since a cheerful (not to say smug) pop song doesn't seem to fit that well with all those Gothic stories.
Jerry Friedman