[Dragaera] Chapter titles in Vallista--minor ***SPOILER***

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sat Nov 4 14:40:55 PDT 2017

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017, Corey Reid via Dragaera wrote:

>> On Nov 4, 2017, at 5:20 PM, Jerry Friedman via Dragaera <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info> wrote:
>>

>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>> 5
>> 6
>> 7
>> 8
>> 9
>> 10
>> 11
>> 12
>> 13
>> 14
>> 15
>> 16
>> 17
>> Here's what I've got.  Would anybody like to correct or add anything?
>>
> Chapter 9 is more probably ?The Mysteries of Udolpho? by Ann Radcliffe

This is very familiar to people sufficiently fanatical about Jane Austen
to have read _Northanger Abbey_ many times.  I found the character's name
jarring for that reason.

I'm hoping for folks familiar with the works in quuestion to find thematic
resonances.  _Jane Eyre_ has the crazy family member in a high room in the
house who causes great damage and jumps off a roof, for starters.  I was
sort of hoping for a nod to _Wide Sargasso Sea_, which would have worked
with the Text's themes as well.

- Philip