[Dragaera] Dragaera and Moons **Minor Vallista Spoiler, nothing plot related**

Jon lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Nov 6 21:07:33 PST 2017

On 11/6/2017 8:51 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> *From:* Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net>
>
> >       From: Scott Schultz via Dragaera <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info>

Well, yes, I suppose it's possible if the moon were exactly
geosynchronous, but not exactly along the equator, then the apparent
"path" it carves out in the sky might cause it (from some locations on
the terminator line of visibility of the moon) to "rise" and "set"--but
in such a case it would basically pop up very briefly, then "set" again
within a day or two, and always remain very close to the horizon.

But in such a case, it wouldn't take a terribly long journey east or
west to reach a point on the planet where either it was always visible,
or always hidden. I have trouble reconciling that situation with the way
Dolivar talks about it.

> It's still a big coincidence.  And from what I've been reading today,
> our geostationary satellites have to use onboard thrusters to stay in
> their orbits--"station keeping".

True. But that's due mostly to tidal forces caused by the orbit of our
own Moon. It's entirely possible that "Bigmoon" and "Littlemoon" could
have an established orbital resonance that keeps Littlemoon in place,
naturally.