[Dragaera] Two comments on Joy Williams's "Chicken Hill"

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 25 11:51:09 PST 2017

I happened to read this today:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/09/14/chicken-hill

Loioish might enjoy this exchange:

"Thomas Aquinas said that friendship between humans and animals is
impossible."

"That's idiotic. I've never heard of anything more ridiculous."

"What could he have been thinking, right?" The child was hunched into
her backpack again. "Once you're dead, you shouldn't be read."

Also, there's a reference to Abdiel and this Paradise Lost line: "faithful
found, / Among the faithless, faithful only he."  I should reread _To
Reign in Hell_, but the tragic aspect always gets me down.