[Dragaera] Side effect

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Thu Jul 27 09:24:55 PDT 2006

"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b at dd-b.net>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
07/27/06 09:07 AM

dragaera at dragaera.info
cc

Subject
[Dragaera] Side effect

>Shortly before my meltdown, we had some discussion about possibly, if
>necessary, reconstituting the Lyorn archives on dragaera.info. While
>that doesn't currently seem necessary, I note that Dreamhost (where
>this list and dragaera.info are now hosted) has Media Wiki available
>as a "one-click install", so it's a lot easier to do that now than it
>used to be.

This can only be a good thing. It means we have flexibility should we need
to relocate the wiki.

>Given that participation in dragaera.info, at the level of other
>people writing articles, has been so low, perhaps converting to a Wiki
>format is the right thing to do there for its own reasons.  However,
>at this point it looks like Lyorn archives is doing a great job, and
>setting up a competitive situation wouldn't be good for either site.

I agree it wouldn't be good to have a second wiki competing with Lyorn
Records... Perhaps there could be a smaller wiki section on the new
(reborn? Revivified? Reincarnated? Undead?) Dragaera site simply for
organizational purposes... Wikis have lots of good uses beyond what the
Lyorn Records is doing.

>And, sigh, there's lots of work to do to get dragaera.info back up in
>its normal form, too.

...But there's no big rush on any of this. I just always try to use server
crashes as an opportunity to rebuild my sites in more powerful and
efficient ways than I had before.

Majikjon

--Trying very hard to avoid making parallels between the Old Server of
Dragaera, and the Old Palace of Fenario... (And nearly succeeding...)