[Dragaera] Does house discrimination=racism?

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Aug 2 11:02:40 PDT 2006

After reading these books for many years, racism against Easterners seems
to be a common motif.

But then I got to thinking, what about racism within the Dragaerans
themselves?

Certainly, a Teckla will be denigrated and discriminated against nearly as
much as an Easterner, but is this racism, or merely due to social status,
rather than race? (And is there even a significant difference?)

How pervasive is the discrimination based on house? If you're a Hawklord
hiring a security guard, for example, would you hire a Dragonlord or a
Tsalmoth? Would their house even play into your decision?  How about if
one was a Teckla, and the other was an Orca? Or if one was a Teckla, and
the other was an Easterner?

I guess the root question here is how deep does Dragaeran discrimination
really run?

Does anyone have any good examples from the texts that might illuminate
this subject?