[Dragaera] Bear with me please?

Louis Eastman almagaiz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 19:47:26 PDT 2006

SPOILERS

On 8/3/06, tom sausman <inuyashadontask at netscape.net> wrote:

>   1)  Who is really Daymar? He doesn't look like/act a Hawklord. He
> levatedates (floats) like Aliera. He powers ( psychics) rival those of
> Sehtra. He can break through that golden stone that "spellbreaker" is
> assumely made of. Also I concule that he his a witch because in _Taltos_
> pg 62 Vlad witchcraft is only control psyhic energy and Krgar explains
> Daymar talent by "psyhics boss".

Daymar's an expert with psionics, which is a bit different than witchcraft.
Witchcraft involves you using rituals and a familiar to guide your inner
energy
to achieve effects. Psionics is pretty much concentrating very hard on
something and it works. If you stop concentrating, Bad Things happen.

        2)  Alright , Baronet Vladimir Taltos,  if Vlad is his middle
> name than is his son's "Vlad" his middle name too, and not Norathar or,
> I don't understand.

Baronet is a title. His name is Vladimir Taltos, Baronet of House Jhereg.
His son is Vlad Norathar- which is considered a spoiler, so please put that
at the top of the mail.

        3) How can Kragar "blend" in, even while he is walking next to
> Vlad with two guards looking strilke at them, and even Cawti sitting on
> him ( wouldn't you something prodruing from the chair). He couldn't be
> emitting some "field" around him like Kiera does _Orca_ with sheild the
> whole undeador does he a invisiable spell that Vlad says he does in
> _Dragon_ page 77ish. Even when he is on a horse shouting comands no one
> sees/hears him ( is that possible). If he blends so well how can he die,
> such stab in the back? Also on page 47 of _Dragon_ secondish paragraph,
> Vlad notices Kragar by his cloat, was it hanging up or was he still
> wearing it?

He's just naturally sneaky.

     4)   If Braitt only died about a week before the battle how did
> Vlad see his shade in Taltos?

Baritt mentions it himself, that the Paths have a different scope of time;
when they had left, he had not yet died. In other words, in the Paths  he
had
been killed, yet outside of the Paths in the normal time stream, he was
alive.

      5)  Vlad says he getting paid to related or retell the battle to a
> metal box  three years after the battle. But by Whom. And he states that
> noramlly (before the battle) he talks to the every morning metal box,
> why? What is the metal box?

It's a recorder that Steve uses to get the stories. A bit of an explanation.

      6)  On the same page (15) he talks about repressing his memories.
> Could it be someone such as Sethra ( because of the whole soul of ....
> crap how do you spell the founder of the Jhereg, in an Eastener body)

No, it's more likely just him repressing bad memories or simply due to Verra
/Barlen/some other god or god-like or demigod entity messing around with
him.

       7)  Wasn't Sethra "soul" in love with Vlad "soul" WAY BACK WHEN?

Nope, that was speculation (on my part, actually) that Steve vetoed.

       8) Why again did a soul of a human go into a body if an Eastener.
> I thought reincarantion was only for humans while Easteners souls just
> wander the plains... or something

The readers of the list call Easterners human and Dragaerans Dragaerans, at
least
most of the time, FYI. Easterners just reincarnate again. Read Teckla,
specifically the part
with Franz's ghost.

            9) page 54 the talk between Loiosh and Vlad, Loiosh talks
> about commissio,ranks, and jargon from both the army and navy (
> aye,aye). Didn't Loiosh hatch in the city and Vlad was never in a battle
> yet, and I don't recall him never being able to read.

He's been around Vlad, who's been around Sethra, one of the most brilliant
military minds ever to exist, Morrolan, who has his own army when he wants
one, and Aliera, who served with her father, Adron. He's also really well
read,
and Loiosh shares in his education.

          10) In the Romances Morrolan and Mario never met so on page 55
> does he know "of" him like through books and Sethra or does he know him
> "personally", because they just saved Aliera and well you never know
> with lovers.( Wait but didn't they fight Lorran for her soul....
> nevermind )

Mario is a famous guy in the Organization. Everyone knows him, Morrolan has
one of the best spy networks in the Empire, which most likely include the
Organization.

        11) Morrolan talked about hiring a general, page 55, and tells
> how Sethra will do it "for other reasons" I don't recall him ever
> helping her, the Aliera thing help him, Blackwand, the useing of her
> mountain for protection, her not killin him, etc., etc.

They're good friends. Also, Steve may have mentioned something
in the Khaavren novels.

      12) Just out of curiosity, if Vlad ever got a castle like Cawti
> wanted (example) would he get those double doors that open up by
> themselfs that I swear Sethra gave Morrolan and that severnt to bring
> him Klava every morning? If Vlad did have enough money to get a castle
> when he took out one of the "Big 5" why didn't he get a castle again? If
> he left the business, where is all his money?

He spent it on South Adrilankha. He also didn't want a castle.

            13) Beside Sethra ( who really doesn'y care about the whole
> houses thing), I thought all Dragons hate Easteners, I mean why does
> Morrolan help Vlad in his first "Jhereg fight for territory" thing, and
> Aliera has nothing but contempt (disdain) for assassins and anyone not
> being a Dragon, but at times show compasion towards Vlad

Morrolan's his friend, Aliera was once Vlad's brother/sister, and likes him
a lot.

.

>   14)  On page 30 _Dragon_ Vlad talks about being a commander-in-chief
> or a high ranking officer.... but how? This was before he South
> Adrilankha, and when the "Big Five" are still 5. (Off-topic): Vlad
> metion that "the Demon" got his name during the Interregnum, but there
> was no reference of him, was there? Did he threaten Parrfi or something?

Probably referring to him being a crime boss. The Demon killed two of the 5
council members
during the Interregnum-council members are very, very hard to take down.

15)This is in "annoyance" with _orca_ . How do we, as readers, know
> about "JR"? The only metioning of him is in the "Eploigle" (sorry) and
> that was from Kiera and that would mean she saw him. The only astongish
> thing I discover was that scam and the fact that I thought Piro died (
> he hasn't broken the stick)?

No idea.

16)All near 249-251:
>           When did Khaaven get a sea named after him?

Last time I checked he didn't. I thought he had a wine named after his
ancestral
land.

            Why are Bow-and-Arrows called Javelin-Shooter?

Because they don't use arrows, or bows. They fling javelins, also known as
pilums,
farther than you could throw them-think of a slingshot and you're close.
More info; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilum

            Why did only Vlad see Devera and why was she there?

Other people see her, but as she looks like a normal girl, they ignore her.