[Dragaera] (Dzur spoilers) Dzur reactions

Ken Koester kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov
Wed Aug 9 07:38:13 PDT 2006

Kate Nepveu wrote:

>On 8/8/06, Johne Cook <johne.cook at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Ack, what's the list's spoiler policy? Do I need blank lines?
>
>Just to be safe, since these are huge spoilers:
>
>REALLY BIG SPOILERS

>SPOILERS NEXT
>

>Aww, see, that's what I love about it. In the last book about a
>war-like House, _Dragon_, Vlad's desparately trying to *become* a
>Dragon--and is deeply unhappy and unsuited for it.

On the contrary, he is more suited for it than he
likes--Schlachtkameradenschaft (I just made that one up--that's the nice
thing about German, you can portmanteau to your heart's content; well,
up to 3 words long.  But someone with less rusty German than mine can
tell me if it works or not (-: ) does that to you.

>Here, he learns about the Dzur, and then deliberately chooses *not* to
>act as  a Dzur, because he _isn't_. In fact, he does not personally
>kill a single person in this book, which I believe must be a
>first--Lady Teldra does, and he orders a killing, but Vlad himself
>doesn't kill anyone.

Again, I disagree.  The finale is very Dzur-like; the other actors
decide not to take it there.  Had they decided differently, Vlad would
have been in there swinging with the finest.  I haven't worked it out in
detail (being too lazy) but have started wondering if (one of) the
point(s) of all this is to expose Vlad to all the houses as part of his
training.  Assuming, that is, he *is* actually being trained as part of
some as yet unfathomable program.

Snarkhunter