[Dragaera] Chreotha (the book)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Thu Aug 10 10:32:29 PDT 2006

Ken Koester <kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
08/10/06 10:21 AM

SKZB List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: [Dragaera] Chreotha (the book)

>Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:
>
>>Sure, there's a Jhereg *in* /Jhereg/, and a Yendi *in* /Yendi/, and
there
>>are superficial nods in the direction of the houses, but they don't
really
>>explore the character of the Houses to the extent that, say, /Dragon/
>>looks at Dragonlords in general, or /Issola/ talks about Issola.
>>

>Well, we do learn a fair amount about House Jhereg, not to mention
>Dragon-Jhereg wars.  And the main action of the book is "work".  I'd say
>it's a pretty strong association, myself.

Yes... But we learn almost as much about House Jhereg in /Yendi/ and
/Dzur/ as we do in /Jhereg/... And "work" is a focus of several of the
books... And the scheme he uses at the end of /Jhereg/ feels convoluted
enough to be a Yendi scheme, more than something a Jhereg would think of.

I'm not saying there's *no* connection to House in those books, just that
it's less important to the story in some of them than in others.

Really, all of the books have at least some connection to *all* of the
houses, it's just whichever house has prominance in the tale.

In this regard, I'd hold up /Athyra/ as probably the book with the closest
tie-in to the House it's named after. The whole psyche of the Athyra is a
running theme throughout the story. /Issola/ and /Orca/ are also very
tight with their House associations, however.