[Dragaera] (Dzur spoilers) Dzur reactions

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 13:01:43 PDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Johne Cook <johne.cook at gmail.com> wrote:

> The difference here being that there really isn't any letting of blood
> in the finale, and thus my primary quibble - it may be a strategic
> victory (or tactical - never can keep them straight,) but that doesn't
> make for a satisfying read.
>
> I was geared up for a /fight/.  I feel frustrated.  All that tension
> screams for release.

I think the reason I wasn't disappointed by the lack of the fight was
that it was so obvious that if there *had* been a fight, Vlad would be
dead, as well as a number of Left Hand sorceresses that I don't care
about. Now it's possible that Vlad could have just surprised them by
showing up and starting to kill everybody, and as Majikjon points out
maybe he could have taken them out (Teldra could probably deal with
sorcery as long as there's not twelve of them in a one room), but that
doesn't commit the Left Hand to staying out of South Adrilankha, nor
the Right Hand to keeping out as well. The key triumph was diplomatic,
offering the Demon the leadership of the Jhereg in exchange for South
Adrilankha's freedom from the Jhereg.

Incidentally, I wonder how that will play out. Vlad and the Demon both
think it means the Organization will pop up anyway, only headless and
needlessly messy. I think it's just as possible that South Adrilankha
could self-organize along some other lines, whether under Kelly's
revolutionaries or someone else. The key thing is that the Jhereg
won't interfere, so any crimelords are at a relative disadvantage in
the struggle because they can't pull in Jhereg support in exchange for
money, the way they normally could. The Empire doesn't care what the
Easterners do with themselves as long as they stay quiet (the Phoenix
Guards hardly even patrol the area). And 400 years is a *lot* of time
in Easterner generations. I could imagine a mini-republic popping up
in the Easterner quarter, setting up rule of law, and thus enabling
people to take control of their lives, establish capitalism through
enlightened self-interest, clean up the streets...

Interesting potential, anyway.

-Maximilian
Who enjoyed the line about Dragaerans and beggars.

--
Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,