[Dragaera] [Dzur spoiler] Possible crack in the orb

Jose Marquez jhereg69 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 11 00:14:54 PDT 2006

Philip Hart wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
>

>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>> Pg. 222.
>>
>>     "How long have you been his contact, Kragar?"
>>     "About, uh, ninety years, I guess."
>>     "How did you meet him?"
>>     "A mutual friend introduced us."
>>     "A friend? I didn't think Aliera even liked you."
>>     He chuckled. "One for you, Vlad."
>>
>> Except Aliera wasn't around ninety years ago. So what's Kragar chuckling
>> about?
>>
> Good point, I think.  Also Kragar was nobody (or so it seemed at least)
> when Vlad met him - it's odd to me that he would have been in a position
> to have someone think him worth introducing to Mario, and I'd be surprised
> if Mario hadn't recognized his qualities and used or helped him in such a
> way that 85 years later he should have been somebody.

Wild speculation: What if Sethra knows about Kragar as a Dragon, and
after he is expelled and joins the Jhereg (I imagine that sort of thing
doesn't happen all the time, so it might have some particular resonance
for her), she keeps tabs on him through her Jhereg sources? Sethra also
knows Mario, and probably knows about Mario and Aliera, and she might
just mention to Kiera that Mario could use a contact like Kragar. Kiera
passes this on to Mario, who checks Kragar out.

Now to poke holes in it: Mutual friend is Sethra? But can Kragar
honestly describe Aliera as a mutual friend? I doubt that Aliera's
contempt for Kragar is feigned; I doubt her contempt for Vlad is
feigned. But she's a Dragon; she's expected to be contemptuous of Jhereg
and is appropriately so in public. In private, it seems all bets are off.
> Related - Mario kills a Left Hand coming out of a teleport, and Vlad's
> jaw drops.  Couldn't it be as simple a thing as she always teleports to
> the same spot and one just waits there?
Likely. But to discover such a thing in such a short time and then take
advantage of it seems astounding. Especially since the Left Hand
apparently teleport differently. Or some of them do. But on this list,
I'm always happy to generalize from one example. Particularly for a
Dragaeran; it seems Mario moves as fast as Vlad.

Really enjoyed Dzur, by the way. I meant to re-read it immediately, but
then my girlfriend complained, and I agreed that it would be fairer if I
let her read it before I re-read it.

Jose

--
Jose Marquez             | There are 10 types of people in
jhereg69 at earthlink.net   | the world: those who understand