[Dragaera] [Dzur spoiler] Possible crack in the orb

Jose Marquez jhereg69 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 11 23:12:20 PDT 2006

Maximilian Wilson wrote:

>>> Wild speculation about Mario's age vs Paarfi's account - _he_ ended
>>> up on a plane such as you describe following Sethra and Aliera's
>>> assassination of Tortaalik.
>>>
>> I could see that. My initial reaction to the description of Mario's age
>> was more mundane: "Huh. He's probably in disguise." I imagine very few
>> people know what Mario looks like. Aliera is one. I doubt that Vlad is
>> another, despite their brief meetings in Dzur. Kragar might, although I
>> doubt it. If the Orb was recording at the time, then Zerika knows what
>> he looks like as well. Sethra teleported him. Khaavren might remember as
>> well. I can't remember who saw him towards the end of FHYA. He seemed to
>> be good at disguising himself back then...
>>

> Heh. My reaction was, "Paarfi is wrong, wrong, wrong!" Note that he
> talks like an oldie, too.
>
> "He nodded and smiled. Like the guy who lived downstairs, as I said
> before. Or else maybe the old man who pinches the pretty girl in the
> market, but she smiles back instead of smacking him. That guy."
>
> I like the idea that he really looks exactly the way Vlad sees him.
> Because, you see, it *is* such a great disguise.

I'm just having trouble imagining Aliera being with someone who is more
than 2000 years her elder. Although I guess Kieron is a lot older than
that...

I see Mario as being her age. The archaisms that Mario uses (calling the
Organization the association) could be a product of having been born and
raised in Dragaera City. Or they could be a product of his wearing his
disguise from the inside. Vlad manages to do this to some degree as
Sandor; I can't imagine Mario not being able to do the same. I can't
remember how old Paarfi made him out to be in FHYA, but the Interregnum
only lasted 250 years. And the Demon rebuilt the Organization during the
Interregnum, if I can remember Jhereg correctly. So it could be that the
Organization is called thus in Adrilankha, and was referred to as the
association in Dragaera City, before the Demon took over.

Jose

--
Jose Marquez             | There are 10 types of people in
jhereg69 at earthlink.net   | the world: those who understand